My name is Rachael and I am a feminist.
Now I know what you are thinking *oh god, another man hater. Thinks women are the elite sex, blah blah blah* well i'd like to say that no, that is 100% not the case. I am a femiNIST, not a femiNAZI.
If you google the dictionary definition (because let's be real, does anyone actually own a dictionary anymore?) of feminism, it states; "Feminism (noun) The Theory of the political, economical, and social equality of the sexes.
EQUALITY. Feminism isn't about trying to be the better sex or prove we are the superior gender. That's a load of bollocks. It is about equality between both genders.
Also, feminism isn't just about women being given equal rights, it's also for men. Men should be able to feel however they damn well want to. Crying and showing your emotions doesn't make you any less of a man. Why do people think calling a man a 'pussy' or a 'girl' is an acceptable insult? What the fuck is wrong with having a pussy and being a girl?! Choosing to spend time with your significant other, over your friends, means you are 'whipped'? That does not mean you are any less of a man.
Did you know suicide is the biggest killer of males aged 20-45 in the UK? Women are more likely to seek help when they need it most, because asking for help is stereotypically a feminine trait. Feminism helps because it shows that even in your weakest moment, you are not a failure of a man for expressing how you feel.
I thought i'd put together a list of just, some of the reasons that I am & will always be a feminist.
- I am a feminist because I am sick to death of being constantly singled out at work as I am the only female on my department. I will be lifting a heavy crate and men feel out the need to joke "Oh, make sure you don't injure yourself. Should a little thing like you really be lifting that?" whilst laughing with their male friends. I am stronger than I look and I am not going to let you feel like a knight in shining armour coming to my rescue. If you hadn't opened your big mouth, I may have asked for your help but now you have felt the need to joke about my frail, weak female body. Fuck off.
- I am a feminist because in Saudi Arabia, women still can't vote or drive.
- I am a feminist because one in three women will be sexually assaulted at some point in her life, most likely by someone she knows.
- I am a feminist because I am sick of people trying to justify sexual assault or rape with 'well she didn't say no." She also didn't say YES. or "Well, what was she wearing?" If I want to flaunt my breasts or my pasty white legs I will. That does not give you any sort of sexual permission!
- I am a feminist because in schools girl are taught to wear the 'appropriate uniform as it may be distracting'. How about you also teach boys about the importance of consent.
- I am a feminist because "You don't have to be Anti-Man, to be Pro-Woman"- Jane Galvin Lewis.
- I am a feminist because the only way to deter a man's attention is to say 'I have a boyfriend' because they respect the 'man code' more than your rejection or respecting the fact that you are just not interested.
- I am a feminist because slut shaming is never okay. Neither is calling someone frigid because they exercise their right to say no.
- I am a feminist because "When a man gives an opinion, he is a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she is a bitch." - Bette Davis
- I am a feminist because I still have to explain WHY I am a feminist.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying you are feminist. Own it. That shit rules!